Thursday, February 4, 2010

Mega Garden Update

Now, for another update.
Although this is probably totally unwanted,
I am going to give you the latest scoop on my gardening project.
See, this is my first year planting in the ground
(I am not counting the squash last year)
and I feel the need to write about every single step,
even if it is not interesting to anyone but me.
That being said,
last weekend we broke out the RotoTiller.
I have been killing the grass on the site of my garden-to-be
for a few months now,
but I decided that we should till the ground up anyway,
just to be safe.
So we borrowed a tiller from Jon and Hillary and set to work.
Actually, "we" does not include me...
Steven and Casey did the tilling while I held Orin
who had decided that he was not sure about the RotoTiller
and was clinging to me with a surprising grip for someone so small.
After the bed had been thoroughly tilled
I covered the entire area in 3 bales of hay,
following a friend's tip that the way to avoid weeds
is to plant starts directly into several inches of hay.

Orin, relieved that the RotoTiller was gone,
appointed himself to the position of Project Supervisor.
A couple hours later, there was nothing but hay,
hay, and more hay.
Isn't it beautiful?
Spring is in the air...

No comments: