Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sew-a-thon

As my total weight gain for this pregnancy nears 300 pounds
(just kidding... but that is how it feels)
I have been seeking activities that involve 
less movement than my normal routine.
All my life I have watched my mother sewing,
knitting, cross-stitching, etc and have always had a slight interest
in learning how to make things out of fabric or yarn,
but have never had quite enough motivation until now.

Now I am having a girl.

 
Don't get me wrong, boys are awesome
but baby boy clothes are just not as cute as baby girl clothes. 
And with the arrival of our daughter approaching
 I did not want to limit myself to just the adorable clothes
that you can buy from a store...
No, I wanted limitless options.
So I took over the spare room and, on occassion,
the dining room and began going a bit sew-crazy.
Under my mother's watchful eye 
I have been churning out enough baby clothes for an army.
It has actually become somewhat of an obsession.
  I started with dresses.
Here is my first pattern:
and, of course, just one color was not enough:
 (As of yesterday I made another one of these)
Then came patten number two,
a wrap dress:
(I finished two more of these yesterday as well)
Then I stepped up to pattern number three 
which is significantly harder to make then it looks.
I call it the nightmare dress:
 (I am halfway done with my second one of these)

Each one of my creations has some kind of significant flaw.
I may have not lined up two pieces of fabric properly,
 sewn across something I was not supposed to,
caused the botton-hole maker to spontaneously break down
leaving a glob of thread where a button-hole should have been, etc.
but I tell myself it is just how I make each piece unique.

When I need a break from sewing dresses I work on other things,
like patches for overalls:
A rainbow colored blanket that I am knitting
(pictures to come),
and this:
A crib bumper kit.
Only 24 ties and 12 pieces of bumper fabric
(and likely 10 hours later)
and I will have completed my crib bumper
complete with sparkles
(which you can't really see in the picture).

Think I am a nerd?
So does Casey.
But, really, didn't we all know that before?
And aren't you glad you get to read a post that doesn't contain
pictures of boogers or dishwasher brains?

I thought so.

No comments: