Friday, July 3, 2009

"Tails" of a Reader

Ever since his grandparent's visit,
Orin has discovered a new love: books.
I attribute it to something that my mother (the super librarian)
or Dean (the biggest book worm in history)
slipped into Orin's sippy cup during their stay with us.
Some double-dose of book-loving potion,
because ever since they left all Orin wants to do is read.
Here is the cycle that now fills my entire morning:
I see Orin at his bookshelf making a selection,
which, despite the fact that he as an enormous number of books,
is inevitably the book given to him by his Great Aunt Jeanne,
a book that now appears in my nightmares, "Tails."
"Tails," is in fact, a great book.
It is perfect for babies because it has hidden flaps to open,
various textures to feel, a scratch-and-sniff,
and different tails to wag.

But, after reading it 214,567,098 times,
I wouldn't mind a new one.
But Tails it is, and here he comes...
Tails is heavy, so sometimes the approach takes a while.
Occasionally flaps flip open, leading to increased frustration,
but he perseveres nevertheless.
He then lifts it over his head,
and throws it at me.
Next, he positions himself in my lap.
At this point, I have no choice,
regardless of whatever else I was doing,
it is now time to read.
I no longer need to look at the pages,
I know the entire thing by heart.
And so, of course, does Orin
who loves to open the flaps, pull on the tails,
hatch the baby alligators, etc.
When Casey gets home from work,
Orin gladly takes the opportunity to entice a new victim.
But Casey, having had his fair share of Tails,
has several evasive techniques up his sleeve.
First, the classic, read something else over his shoulder.
If that doesn't work, there is always the strategy of
grabbing a different book and trying to read in a
new and interesting position to distract Orin.
That doesn't always go well.
When his parents resist,
sometimes Orin can convince his Uncle Steven to read to him,
or else he settles for reading to himself.
Other books will distract him for a while,
but once he reaches the last page
of "A lot of Otters," "BooBoo, or "Baby Faces,"
He cycles back to Tails.
And there is certainly no better time to read it
then now.

And so, after a long post, I am off.
After all, I have a book to read.

No comments: