Saturday, July 25, 2009

Zucchini Anyone? -A Garden Update

This morning when I was outside watering the plants
I realized that I had planted mutant zucchini...
the super-growth kind.
The proof was tucked underneath one of the many massive leaves:
Now, I realize that although this is a large zucchini, you probably
think that it isn't large enough to cause significant alarm.
Ah, but you are wrong, for it's the speed of growth, not the size
that makes this plant a monster...
See, I just harvested this plant 2 days ago.
There was nothing even close to this size left after I was done.
This zucchini grew overnight or,
quite possibly, while I was watering the peppers.
Which brings me to one of the many lessons I have learned during
my debut year as a gardener: zucchinis can not remain in pots.
(Unless the pot is the size of a swimming pool)
Of equal importance, another lesson I learned was
NEVER plant more than one zucchini, unless you need to feed
a large army (large as defined by more than 10,000).
(here are my two zucchini plants, un-leased into the vast
open territory of my backyard and producing their fruit
at speeds faster than my camera shutter)
In other updates, my tomatoes are flurishing as well.
Now that I have harvested all of the parsley and cilantro,
they are enjoying having a little more space to thrive.
And while we are on the subject of crowding, my peppers are
producing so fast that they are squishing each other on the stem,
but it is still too early to start picking, so I am just hoping
they will work it out amongst themselves.
The onions are a little crowded as well and not quite yet mature,
but I have already started to pick them, because I think I would have
a hard time finding a recipe that calls for 75 onions.
Even though they are young, they sure are tasty...
and good with zucchini too.
In other gardening updates, I have planted 5 blueberry bushes
for next year, that is, if the weeds don't take over.
The picture below is of a blueberry bush that is under attack.
Every morning I go outside with Ori strapped on my back
and we pull weeds until he loses interest
(roughly 5 minutes later).
I am not sure yet if they are sprouting
faster than we are pulling them.
Time will tell.
That's it for now.
I am off to go pick the new zucchinis.

No comments: