Sunday, February 24, 2013

Urvi

Last summer I got an awesome job working 
full time for an environmental nonprofit.
However, at the time I applied for the job,
I hadn't thought about the fact that Orin's school year
ends in the beginning of June.
After some deliberations, we decided to hire a live-in nanny.
We put out an ad and got back a flood of responses
(apparently it isn't hard to find young people who
want to live on the Cape for the summer).
All of our applicants seemed of about equal potential
until I read one from a girl named Urvi.

Urvi was working on her masters in speech pathology
from Boston University and was looking 
for a break from the grind for the summer.

A couple weeks later, Orin and I found ourselves nervously 
waiting for the Greyhound bus that she was taking to arrive.
I think it took both of us about 2 minutes to fall in love with her.
 The only bad thing about Urvi was that she turned out to be
likely the best nanny in the history of the known universe,
meaning that any nanny we hire now
won't have a prayer of measuring up.
Urvi is the kind of person who is always glowing,
filling the room with such positive energy
that you can't help but smile.
Every day she came up with creative and fun projects to do with Orin
and once a week she would cook the most amazing 
Indian food I have ever had in my life.
When it was time to say goodbye, I couldn't stop crying,
and even now, months later, I still have Urvi-withdrawl.
I have told her that if she ever feels like a master's in 
speech pathology is overrated,
that she could come move in with us forever.
So far, it hasn't worked, but she has promised to come back 
and visit this summer.
We sure do miss her...
none of us more than the naked boy over her shoulder
(I love this picture).

No comments: