Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Nest

The last couple of weeks I have been experiencing "nesting syndrome."
For those of you who don't know about this, it is the period before
a woman goes into labor when she frantically starts preparing
for the arrival of her little one.
For the woman it seems that there are suddenly 1,000 
VERY IMPORTANT things to do
while to the rest of the world,
she just seems totally crazy.
I manage somehow to see both sides...
To be one minute obsessively washing and 
organizing every piece of clothing
including her impossibly small socks,
while the next laughing hysterically at myself
and how hormones can drive even someone like me
(who Casey believes has never actually put the cereal away
after breakfast once in her life)
to care this much about things 
like the organization of baby socks.

But I haven't exactly stopped there. 
The nesting period has gone beyond just cleaning and organizing.
I am still sewing.
Frantically. 
Here is one of the 5 pairs of overalls I have made in the last 2 weeks.
Because every child needs at least 5 pairs of overalls
before they are even born.
And I have started knitting another blanket
because the last one I made was thick and rainbow colored
and this one is thin and purple
(see how she obviously needs both).
I have also been doing a little last minute shopping
focusing on some things that are important...
like disposable diapers for her to wear until she is big enough 
to fit into her cloth ones,
and an infant bath tub.
While other things just seemed important at the time,
like these slipper shoes,
because every baby needs slipper shoes 
10-12 months before they can walk.
My nesting behavior has not just stayed in the nursery, either.
All of a sudden I felt the overwhelming urge to build a fence
around the garden, edge the front beds, seed the lawn, build a
stone path out to the chicken coop, and add rodent-proof fencing
around the coop 
all with the help of my lovely husband
who is likely wondering the same thing that I am by this point...
When will it end?
I have no idea 
but I am guessing it might not be until I am putting those
impossibly small socks
on some impossibly small feet.
I can't wait!

No comments: