Monday, October 5, 2009

Golfing with Grandpa

I have been accused of neglecting the blog again
but this time it has been for a good reason.
Grandpa Jack and Grandma Carla are visiting us from Massachusetts.
Ever since they arrived last Friday,
we have been on a tour of some of the
most amazing Portland restaurants,
outings which end each night with me stumbling home in a food coma,
plump, happy, and totally unmotivated to do anything but sleep.
But eating well is not the only thing we have been up to,
today we also played golf.
I have been eagerly awaiting my father's visit for some time now,
thinking it would be a perfect opportunity to show off
my newly aquired golf skills.
Although my plan to practice obsessively before his arrival
didn't exactly materialize the way I hoped (I only went once)
I still stepped out onto the greens today with confidence.
As it turns out, my confidence was misplaced.
After taking 10 swings on two holes in a row I was forced to admit
that I still suck at golf.
But, being the supportive husband that he is,
Casey didn't let me wallow in my golfing failures alone...
By the 18th hole, we were both so demoralized
that we didn't even add up the score.
It was crystal clear that we had been thrashed by a member
of the Nursing Home Golf League.
But I am not going down so easy...
after all there is always next year.
Maybe I will even get some practice in before then.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Hey guys! I love to play golf and we should pick up some games!!! ;-)