Friday, January 22, 2010

The smallest plane in the world

I met my classmates at the Jetcenter in Fort Lauderdale
(a small strip of land trying to pass for an airport)
in the wee hours of the morning on Saturday.

I should have realized that something was strange when I first pulled
up to the matchbox size airport,
and I definitely should have realized what was coming when I
was asked to step on the scale after my bags had been weighed.
But it wasn't until we made our way through the doors and
out to the "runway" a.k.a. "sidewalk"
that I realized the plane we were taking to Andros Island
was in fact, the Smallest Plane in the Universe.
Here she is from the inside.
I was told to sit in the very back.
The zoom feature on my camera was not necessary
to take this picture of the pilot.
And here is the wing (the finger is for scale).
The ride was exhilarating, to say the least.
I have never been on a plane that has not only bumped up and down
in turbulent air, but has also swayed from side to side.
Thank goodness for Dramamine.
After landing safely and going through what I imagine
is the easiest customs department in the world,
we hopped into a van for a short ride to Forfar research station.
Our teacher was on the next plane
which wasn't supposed to land for a couple hours,
so we plopped down in the sand and got comfortable.
This is what we would call home for the next week.
Not too bad...

No comments: