Friday, June 13, 2008

The Grandmother Effect

On Wednesday night, Nana Sheree arrived to meet her new grandson.
I think I would be safe to speak for her when I say that it was clearly love at first sight.
Orin had prepared for the occasion by wearing his big-hit "I Love Grandma" onesie.

The first order of business, after the initial cuddling session, was that Nana nearly drown the baby with gifts. This is a selection of the things that she brought with her from Portand, given to Orin by various west-coast relatives.
All the gifts were lovely and Orin can't wait to try them all on (or play with them, bathe with them etc. depending on the gift).
But there was one particular gift that really stood out.
Does this outfit look familiar?
Another puppy bag! These are so hard to find and this one even has a better zipper design than the original. 
For all of you mothers-to-be that think I am nuts for getting so excited about this, just wait... you will see. I will get you each one when the time comes and then you will understand.
So on their first day together, Orin and Nana got to know each other by playing with Ori's rattle for about 5 minutes...
And then Ori falling asleep and sleeping for essentially the rest of the day on Nana's lap.
Which brings me to my last point and the title of the blog "The Grandmother Effect."
Here is the thing: babies are never bad when grandmothers are around. 
Never.


Grandmothers think that mothers are nuts and complain excessively about their presumably docile little ones. 
But there is another side that only mommy and daddy see. 
The side that comes out seconds after grandmother has left.
The screaming, inconsolable side which does not fade until the sleep-deprived early hours of the morning.
The side Casey and I have seen almost every night this week.
I suppose that is why a mothers/fathers love is unending and completely forgiving.
But honestly, how could it not be?

Here is Ori, taking a short break from his nighttime parental torture session to show us how good he is getting at holding up his own head.
Love you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful!! Aunt Sheree got to see Orin! Man just makes me really jelouse but of course I am so happy that Nana Shereee was able to make it over to you guys and spend some good time together. I should have sent her with a UofO onsie but didn't know she was going over. Oh how wonderful for all of you guys. The weather has finally changed for the better and it's nice and warm. My mom was over for the weekend and we drove with the top down on the bug and now I am a great crab color red. This must have been the weekend for parents and their childern. Oh can't wait guys until you come to Oregon, only a few more months. Love you all so much hugs and kisses....oh and Noah (nephew) had his first birthday on June 13th! I can't believe I have been an aunt for a full year! Time to get back to work....bet Umpqua loves that they pay me to blog. LOL....XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

That was my boys' puppy bag, and Lindsay, I absolutely agree...you can NEVER have too many sleeper bags. In fact, if they made them for adults, I would own several for myself. I prepared you uys with a big box of clothes for Orin, so Aunt Sheree might have brought some of those along and hopefully they will all come in handy. Can't wait to see you guys! Love you all! Kori