Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Birthday Weekend at McCobbins

This year, Orin's birthday coincided with Memorial Day weekend.
Because everybody had a long weekend for the holiday,
we decided to pull out our camping gear, load up our dirt bikes, and
head to the other side of Mount Hood to McCobbins Gulch 
a.k.a. Dirt Bike Heaven. 
Although it had been a long time since we packed up the van,
one thing hadn't changed...
my inability to pack in any way that did not result in the van 
looking like the site of a recent bomb detonation.  
When we arrived, we snuggled into a spot between the trees,
joining a city of other tents, RVs, and bikes.
One of the families we were staying with had made Orin 
a birthday cake and everyone at the campsite sang him 
"Happy Birthday" before we let him dive into the frosting.
The next day we spent time alternating between hanging out with 
friends and family and riding the bikes.

There were almost more dirt bikes and 4-wheelers at the camp
than there were people
and for the whole weekend you could hear the constant roar
of engines coming and going from 8am until past midnight
(some people had lights on their helmets for night riding).
Orin hung around the campsite,
playing with family when Casey and I
would go out riding together.
The funniest moment of the weekend was when I jumped 
my bike off the top of the hill pictured below, 
thinking that I would find flat ground,
and instead ending up in freezing cold pond water up to my neck.
Steven had to jump in and pull my bike out before 
congratulating me on my first real crash.

When he asked me if I was okay, I said "everything but my pride."
We were both laughing as we rode back to camp to dry our gear.
Orin is already showing an interest in riding,
but despite Casey and Steven's assertions that he
could start learning to ride within the next couple years,
I have yet to be convinced that it is a good idea.
Either way, for now he is having plenty of fun off-roading his Tonka.
Next Sunday we will have a proper birthday party for Orin
 that will feature party favors instead of dirt bikes
and soft grass and sandboxes instead of wood-chips.

Pictures of that to come.

1 comment:

Tim and Jenn said...

Oh Lindsay, you have no idea! You are making me look sooo bad. Hot momma who has a garden, goes to school and rides dirtbikes! Sweet! I've got to get me out into the country. Looks like a fantastic Birthday weekend. Forget the "Normal party" let's go camping!!!