Sunday, May 24, 2009

Our Garden

I am a frequent visitor of The Barnstorming
a blog that (among other things) 
chronicles the life of Orin's cousin Alden.
The most recent post on the Barnstorming titled "The Garden" has 
reminded me of some photos that got buried in the vault;
Photos that I had taken to document the first Zawicki Family Garden,
a little project I dove into head first about a month ago. 
Because our house is currently for sale,
and the soil in the sunniest part of the yard is terrible,
I decided that our first garden should be confined to containers.
Right off the bat, I think I got a little overzealous about the garden,
 selecting an enormous number of seeds and starts.
My broccoli crop is a perfect example,
I think I planted over a dozen broccoli starts, 
which could, I assure you, feed a small army.
(this picture shows only part of the crop)
I also planted grape tomatoes, romaine lettuce, beans, strawberries,
walla walla onions, basil (from seed), cilantro, parsley, 
red, yellow, and orange peppers (pictured below),
a hot pepper of an unknown variety,  cucumbers, and zucchini.
I am proud to say that (so far) I have not killed anything,
although the cucumbers are off to a pretty bad start.
Orin has been taking an active part in the upkeep of the garden,
mainly by making sure that no ripe strawberries go to waste.
He also occasionally tries his hand at weeding,
although last time he was allowed to dig in the soil,
he decided that it might make a good snack.
This idea lead to an immediate need for a new outfit,
a head to toe scrubbing, and a sizable drink.
(Soil has a tendency to induce thirst when consumed in quantity,
or so I am told)
I will try to keep you updated on the garden as it begins to yield
its bounty or succumb to the same fate as my houseplants,
whichever comes first.
Keep your fingers crossed and, in the mean time,
 try to find a recipe that calls for a lot of broccoli.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thebarnstorming's garden looks very, very pale in comparison. You actually have multiple leaves on your plants? I'm so jealous.
I'm not even going to imagine that that strawberry pic wasn't photoshopped.

And - happy belated birthday, ori!

Tim and Jenn said...

Yay gardening! One day I will have a great garden too. I got this book called the 10 minute gardener. I probably should start with containers though. That's a good idea. Miss you.
Jen