Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It is not Orin's birthday

There has been something fishy going on lately.
A stream of packages have been arriving at our door
over the last two weeks.
The packages don't look very suspicious
--plain, brown, medium-sized boxes--
until further inspection reveals that they have all been addressed
to Orin and they are from different places.

Is it his birthday? No
Did he win an award? No
Is this some group attempt to spoil him? Maybe

Let's have a closer look at the evidence:
The first box was a fleece Duke blanket from Grandma Elisabeth.
The arrival of the blanket made sense to me.
My mother is a die-hard Duke fan and, with basketball season
just starting up again, I understand if she felt the need to make sure
her grandson's allegiances were properly directed.
Now, with a blanket from both grandmothers,
(the RedSox blanket bought for him by Grandma Sheree)
Orin's crib was finally up to snuff.
As I carefully fluffed the new blanket in Orin's bed
I was still unaware that something strange was happening.
Then box two arrived.
It was from his other grandmother, Carla, and it contained clothes.
Lots of clothes, of which these are two of the highlights.
...so true...
Now, I figured that Carla had sent these because during her visit
I had mentioned that Orin needed some wardrobe additions
due to the change in seasons.
So I decided to just be grateful for the cute new things
and not think twice about it.

But then another box came.
This time from Orin's Grandpa Jack.
In the box, more clothes, all with a Cape Cod theme.
"The boy needs to know where his roots are."
My dad explained, convincingly.
Right.
But at this point I was starting to wonder...
had Orin somehow put them up to this?
Impossible.
I am just over-reacting.
Now he is warm and toasty and representing the east coast.
I couldn't possibly complain.

But then today, another box arrived.
This one was from his Grandma Elisabeth again.
Inside were two books,one of which was for reading, and one of which was to sit on.
"A kid can never have too many books," my mom defended.

No, but he can have too many presents.
Enough is enough.

If you add together all of the packages sent from his east coast family
with the constant showering of gifts from his west coast family,
what you end up with is a toddler who thinks that he is the
King of the Universe,
and the Sole Reason the USPS Exists.
Going into the Terrible Twos, I am not sure
this is the mindset I want my child to be in.

I just hope it is not already too late.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

That is just to funny! However I noticed not one Oregon Duck thing....I am going to have to do something about that ;-)