Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Better Late than Never

Today I weeded my garden with a spoon.
This spoon.
 
 Why? Because I had it in my hand when I noticed that
the garden needed to be weeded. 
It was, after all, the big day for planting. 
Don't even bother asking why I haven't planted the garden yet.
It is a combination of bad weather, lots of other things to do,
and my scatter-brained nature 
which is also responsible for my setting out to weed 
four enormous raised beds with a soup spoon.

Once the beds were weeded it was time for the spoon
to head to the dishwasher
while I headed to the kitchen table to determine
what to plant and where to plant it.
(I find this process is enhanced by making a huge mess).
 
 Next it was back outside to turn the soil.
This can be done in several different ways,
but I always choose to do it the most labor-intensive way
i.e. using a shovel and a rake
(hey, it is an improvement from the spoon!)
Once the soil was turned, I amended it with one of my favorite
composts: Coast of Maine Lobster Compost
(and yes, it actually is made from lobsters)
Then it was time to plant:
mostly I am doing direct-sow crops this year
but I also planted some strawberries
after the dogs decided to uproot all of my plants from last year.
 And the best discovery while I was out there was this:
 My asparagus made it through its first winter!
Only a couple years to go and 
I will actually get to harvest some.

So there you have it, 
the crops are in.
Better late than never.
And in my defense,
I have been growing some things for a while.
Here is our hydroponic set-up in the kitchen
where we are growing lettuce, kale, chard, and basil.

No comments: