Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mad Dash Home

The longer I have been in Andover,
the more home sick I have become
so today, despite having only a couple days until
my due date, I decided to take a trip to the Cape.

The first thing I did when we pulled in the driveway
was to go check on my girls.
I am not sure who was happier to see who.
I, of course, just wanted to say hi and catch up on some petting,
while they were more interested in the fact 
that I let them out into their
larger pen so that they could take a much needed dust bath.
 I was also happy to see that everything was growing.
My grapes, which several weeks ago had looked pretty pitiful,
 were thriving.
 and all the seeds I had planted the day I moved out were coming up
(along with boatloads of grass and other weeds, 
but that project will have to wait for now)
 Our trees had leafed out and our dogwood was in full bloom.
 The grass which we seeded right before I left had also emerged,
forming a soft carpet of green in the back yard
 and Orin's garden had taken off as well.
When he saw his plants he exclaimed
"Look mom, my carrots! 
I am going to pick some now"
(I had to explain to him that carrot 
harvest was still a couple months off.)
 And then, of course, there was one other thing growing away...
this one in the kitchen.
I am not entirely sure what this was in its former life,
Casey says it was cereal.
Either way, it was taken care of during our frantic
2 and 1/2 hour cleaning spree
before we jumped back in the car to make it to Andover before
the nightly traffic jam. 
And then, just like that, we were back again.
With enough time to pose like Huck Finn
and take our last round of family-of-three pictures.


Next time we go back, it will be as a family of four.
I can't wait!

No comments: