Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Birthday Baby

Yesterday was Orin's four month birthday.

Lately, he has been really interested in grabbing things,
playing with them for a few seconds, 
and then shoving them into his mouth.
Due to this newfound fascination with his surroundings,
we thought it would be nice to include Orin 
in the various stages of his birthday celebration.

The first step was to make a cake.

I brought it over to the table for icing and 
as soon as it was in within reach,
Orin plunged his hand into the side.
In his defense, I think he was
 just making sure that it had been cooked all the way through.
While we finished up the cake,
Casey was hard at work grilling a birthday feast.
And a feast it was.
After dinner we sang Orin "Happy Birthday"
and helped him blow out his candles. 
I let him inspect a piece of cake...
and Casey offered him some ice cream.
But as soon as the bowl got within reach, 
Orin grabbed a huge lump of whipped cream and 
chocolate sauce, dumped it on the couch,
and then smeared the rest on his clothes.
Ah... a glimpse into the future
when Orin will get to eat his own birthday cake. 
I think he is excited already.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As for some other updates:

 I don't think that I ever mentioned that we went to the doctor again
last week and Orin weighed 16 and 1/2 pounds.

He has been sitting up lately (with the help of his boppy pillow)
and can turn the pages of his books by himself.

He loves books.
My mother and I went shopping the other day and bought him
half a dozen books... a couple fabric ones, a plastic one for the bath,
and some of the classics including 
The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

And finally, in the bath the other day, Orin discovered his toes.
He also, simultaneously, learned to splash.
Lets just say I got a little wet.
Sink baths are not going to work anymore.

More later.
XOXOX


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Orin! You've been busy with the blog. Wow! I had a bit of catching up to do. Sounds like an amazing concert! So glad that Colleen and Cody were able to go as well. Looks like you had lots of fun picking apples too. We've got apples here but they don't look nearly as nice as those. Ours are a bit lumpy and have a lot of ants. I tried one and it was a bit sour. Make for a nice pie though I think. Orin is getting so big. Did you have cheeks like that when you were young? Oh, I saw a disturbing birth stories today with a very large baby...Yikes! Well, I'm off to work on my blog! Check in soon.
Jenn

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Baby Orin!!! It looks like you had lots of fun eating cake and ice cream :)
Much Love- Aunt Katie

Anonymous said...

Oh you guys that looks like so much fun! Love you all and can't wait until your here! Any thoughts of hitting up Bend before Portland? ;-)