Wednesday, September 10, 2008

New York, New York

Last weekend, we went to New York City.
My stepfather, Dean, knew that Casey wanted to see the Big Apple
while we were staying on the east coast
and when he heard about the NYC Century Bike Tour,
he signed them both up.

My mother and I decided to tag along, so on 
Saturday we all headed down together.

We arrived in Times Square in a torrential downpour,
and checked into the amazing hotel room 
Dean had gotten for the weekend.
This was the view from the room:
After unpacking (and spot-drying our clothes with a hairdryer)
we all headed out to find some real New York food,
but ended up going to the Olive Garden instead.

Hey, it was raining and the OG was right across the street...
Orin had a little trouble deciding what he was going to order,
but we were all patient while he learned to use the menu
After dinner, Casey and I headed down into the dungeon
a.k.a. the New York City subway system.
It was the first time Casey had ever taken a subway.
I don't think he was too impressed.

Later that night, we went out to Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum
which was really interesting with lots of picture-worthy exhibits
but I unfortunately forgot my camera.

The next morning, bright and early, Dean and Casey biked to the 
start of the ride. 
My mother, Orin, and I spent the early afternoon walking 
around the city seeing the sights
and trying to avoid getting hit by crazy taxi drivers
By the time we got to Central Park, Casey and Dean had finished their tour.

Casey took the other camera with him on the ride
so he could blog all of his adventures.
Check in soon for that post.
After the ride, Casey and Dean were pretty tired,
but there was one last thing we needed to do while in NY.

86 stories later (they make you walk the last 6)
we were there:
The top of the Empire State Building
From the top the city looks like a bunch of little grey legos
on a big concrete slab
The only plants are on the roofs
So after an awesome weekend,
it felt great to get home again
and feel the grass between our toes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awesome, I am so happy that you guys are experiencing things things you have. Casey I love your biking so much and Uncle Tom will love having someone that might do so things with him as he loves to bike as you know. It was nice seeing your mom and Dean Lindsay they are great people and glad you were able to spend time together it looks fun. Give them both my love. Orin is going to have so much to learn as he grows about the things he did while young that makes my heart sing, most children don't even get that chance. You guys are great parents and I like he is included in everything so many get babysitters rather than include their children. God be with my children and all my love mom/nana

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with Aunt Sheere more! So excited you guys include Orin! Casey I was also not impressed with the subway in N.Y. City because frankly is smels like pee....LOL. However it's crazy to see how big the Big Apple actually is. You can only try to imagin something like that from a place like Portland but you never really get how big that place is until you are there. The line to the Empire State Building was to long when I was there (summer and it went around the block) so we didn't go. I absolutly love the pix of Orin at the end! So wonderful! I miss you guys so much! :)