Monday, September 8, 2008

A Quarter Century

"September 3, 1983: the day was just like any other day
until suddenly the sky darkened,
a cold wind swept through the streets...
you could tell something terrible was about to happen..."

This is how my brother describes the day I was born,
but I try not to take it personally because he hadn't even been conceived yet.

 This year the 3rd meant a quarter century for me.
When Casey asked what I wanted for my birthday I told him
a poem and a cupcake.
He said he would write me a poem only if I promised 
never to show it to anyone.
So here is the cupcake:

Not too shabby.

To kick off my birthday week
(I don't feel that people should be limited to just one day)
I first went to visit my father.
Besides the usual good food, good laughs, and good hiking,
Orin and I got to enjoy some shade-bathing 

 while watching Egg do what Egg does best
Orin also got to do a little gardening with his stepmother.
Turns out, he is quite fond of purple beans.
On the morning of the 3rd, 
Colleen and Rowan came over to celebrate with us.

Rowan has just started to crawl and had a great time
showing us his new skills.

Later that afternoon,
my brother Matthew, his wife Robbi, and my niece Alden came up
from Maryland to visit.
It was the first time that I have ever met Alden
and it was probably one of the best birthday presents ever.

Matthew and Robbi were equally as excited to meet their new nephew.



For my birthday, we ordered pizza and Robbi made a cake
I decided to let Orin help me blow out the candles,
but as soon as he saw them, he decided that it should be his birthday instead
and pushed me out of the way.

My brother also brought some of those glittery whistle things
which were a big hit with the babies.

After Colleen and Rowan left,
the cousins got to spend some time getting to know each other.
I think it was love at first sight.

It turns out they have a lot in common,
like politics...

and good taste in college basketball
Orin even helped Alden choose her football picks
But eventually Alden got a little too enthusiastic
about their new-found friendship...

And Orin had to cut her off.
Matthew and Robbi stayed for several days
which only made it that much more difficult when we
finally had to say goodbye.

But we promised that we would get together again soon.
Later that evening,
Casey, my mother, Dean and I headed off 
to see Taj Mahal in concert.
The music was amazing,
and Taj was fun to watch.

Orin woke up at the end of the concert and started
laughing and screaming so much that I think the people behind us
got a bigger kick out of watching him than they did of the concert.
It was hysterical.

To finish up my birthday week,
my mother and Dean treated us to a trip to the Big Apple,
but I have run out of time,
so you will have to check in again soon for the details of that trip

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your birthday, I am so sorry I did not know when it was Casey should have told me. It sounds and looks as though you had a great time. I wish you a late very happy birthday and promise I will never miss another. All my love Mom (Sheree) Today is my fathers the 9th, I know he isn't here but I still think of him always.

Alex said...

I should hope that your younger brother hadn't been conceived before your birth. otherwise we would be needing to have one of "those" talks with the rents.

Love you guys, hope your well.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINDSAY!!! Sorry I didn't know that you were a vergo but that's probaly why you and I kicked it off well...I am also a vergo and my birthday is on the 20th!!!! So Happy late B-day! Casey did you see those Ducks! Kicking some major butt...now that I think of it you guys probably don't get west coast games but this Saturday at 3:30 east coast time they play Purdue at Purdue! Should be a great game.

Anonymous said...

I meant Virgo....sorry about that, that's what I get for trying to type at work and keep it a secret.