Sunday, May 18, 2008

A day at the farm

At some point a couple months ago in one of my many baby books, I remember reading about how exposing a baby in the womb to farm animals helps to protect him or her from developing allergies. I think. It may have been beneficial for some other reason, I can't remember, but either way it was a good excuse to go visit a farm on Casey's day off. 
We looked up directions to a local farm and set off on a beautiful Sunday afternoon with my mother and brother in law.

When we arrived it did not take us long to realize that what we thought was a "family farm day" was actually a "family fair day"... no livestock to pet, no lovely manure-air to breathe.
 But they did have cotton candy, so we decided to explore for a while.
The best part in my opinion was a booth set up by a local artist who was selling baby books. The books are unique because not only do they tell a baby-friendly story in big letters, they also have smaller captions that have interesting little scientific facts about the animals in the story.
It won me over. We bought "The Pond" and "The Oak Tree" and had them signed by the author.
Andrew's favorite part was the pie tasting. There was a competition going on to see who had made the best pie so there was quite a lot of pressure from the old ladies at the stand to try all of them. This proved to be no problem for the boys. 
After leaving the fair, we set off again to find a real farm and this time we were successful.
Fluffy chickens...
Cute baby goats...
A cow demonstrating an act of personal hygiene.
A big shiny red tractor...
And Wilbur.
We wandered around for a while, petting goats, sheep, and pigs, and enjoying the sunshine.
After the farm we went back to the house for dinner and a round of Settlers of Catan (a game that Casey and I discovered while visiting our frineds in San Franscisco earlier in the trip).

It went very well. 
I won. 
I always win.
:)
Now we are back to focusing all of our attention on having a baby. 
Otherwise, who will wear this cute outfit I made...
my first successful sewing project 

Any day now... I promise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Today i went and bought baby Orin a play pin and hichair for when he comes to visit Aunt Katie and Uncle Tony... along with outfits and blankies I have consumed over the past couple months!!! I can't wait. Hope you guys are doing well. Miss you and love you!
Love Katie

Unknown said...

Lindsay, very nice work on the sewing.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay I sew a little and nothing comes out even close to looking good as your baby clothes. Nice work, now if that little one would show up then that would be awsome. Love you guys and I will be watching for Orin's arrival. XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO