Monday, May 19, 2008

The Selfish Gene

Lately the baby and I have been having a slight conflict of interest, mainly over the timing of his birth. See, baby has moved on to the stage of development known as "hanging around in the womb just gaining weight." He seems perfectly content with his current situation which involves wiggling around, accumulating body fat, and enjoying his safe water-bubble existence. However, I am experiencing this stage in a significantly different way. 

Sleeping, for example, has become very challenging. The only position that is comfortable is one in which I am sitting up, so I now nap (actual sleep is impossible with the number of times that I have to go to the bathroom in the night) propped up on a mound of pillows. My neck has never appreciated anything less. And that is just one example, I am not gong to even tell you about how difficult walking up stairs has become.
 So, naturally I wouldn't mind if the baby would just hurry up and be born. "You can gain all the weight you want after birth," I regularly assure him. But so far he is continuing to be stubborn.
 
Other encouraging speeches have also been ignored. Everyday I try something different, such as "It is a really beautiful day today... a good day to be born" occasionally adding a threat like "If you don't hurry up, you are going to miss this blooming Magnolia tree... it is really something special." My mother has a different tactic. She simply plans out when I should go into labor depending on what works best for everyones schedule. "Your labor should begin tonight around midnight. Spend 6 hours in the early stage then come and wake me up...." Then she pats me on the belly reassuringly and heads off to bed. 
Casey just asks me every morning "Are we going to have the baby today?" I think that he is interested in not going to work. 

So for all of you anxiously awaiting baby pictures, I am not sure how much longer you will have to wait. Hopefully, the baby and I will be able to strike a compromise soon... one in which even though he will be forced to leave his comfortable womb and I will be forced to go through the painful process of guiding his exit, it will benefit us both in the end by allowing him to taste something other than amniotic fluid and letting me nap (in between feedings and diaper changes) lying down. 

We miss you all and hope that you are doing great.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lindsay I want this baby to come too! Have I told you that I really enjoy the way you write? It's so fun and you make it so interesting. I know you will be a great story reader to Orin when he comes! As for sleeping hang in there bud and make casey get up to change the baby in the middle of the night, you need your sleep. Love all 3 of you tons!

andy said...

yo sissy. love you muchly. I feel good baby vibes today. be well! oh my internet got fixed so lets try and chat on im this afternoon:)

Anonymous said...

Zawickis... I thought the cotton candy Casey was holding in your last poast was a brand new Baby Orin head, but I scrolled down and it was just a yummy treat instead. I have been checking each morning to see the first pictures of your boy, but with no luck. And what a sweet question, "Are we going to have the baby today?" Keep up the good work and you need to hire someone to run straight from the birthing center to a computer to post it up. All my energy is yours. Lori

Anonymous said...

I am sooooo excited for you guys! I think of your little family often and always with happy wishes. I definitely also heard the farm idea somewhere, and it extends out of womb too....the more dirt the better for healthy immunity and it has to do with all the healthy living things in good farming soil (for lack of any scientific words:) I will continue watching for those first pictures, but first thinking some soothing birthing thoughts (for your sake too Casey). Take care and much love, Kristin

Anonymous said...

I got very excited when I saw there was a new blog up....but then it wasn't the baby. But what a blog. I figured you'd be able to sleep just on your back. I didn't know that even laying down is hard when you're pregnant. That's all for now since I should be working . AMAZING OUTFIT! Wow. I'm humbled. Much love,
Jenn

Anonymous said...

My days and nights are consumed with thoughts of all three of you and waiting for the phone to ring to say Hi grandma.I miss you so much you can't even imagine and can't wait to find out the schedule so I can arrange my flight to spend with the three of you. I love you all MOM!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok baby Orin is really making us wait! I agree with Lori you need someone to run to the computer and post those first pics!! I am so excited.....come on little baby Orin so many want to meet you!!!