Saturday, November 1, 2008

New Tastes

For the last couple months, 
while sitting on our laps during mealtime,
Orin has been showing increasing interest in food.
In the earlier months, this wasn't much of an issue.
Lately, however, Orin has learned to grab at things
with pinpoint accuracy.
Needless to say, there have been some spills,
so we decided to begin banishing him while we ate
to a highchair where he could entertain himself with something
that wouldn't require a massive clean up effort afterwards.
Unfortunatly there was one thing
that we failed to consider,
namely, that toys that do not splatter
are no fun.
It was clear Orin was going to need something better
to do at mealtime:
It was time to start him on some real food.

First, we introduced him to the spoon.
After several attempts, he got it oriented in the right direction
Then, we mixed up a little rice cereal
It took Orin a while to learn how 
to tackle this new culinary experience.
Although his skills were lacking,
his enthusiasm never waned.
Even when the cup was empty,
Orin wasn't ready to let go of his new favorite pastime.
I could tell it was the beginning of a long and happy relationship
and a new promotion to Most Important Appliance
 for our washing machine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, looks like Orin is going to need you to come get the bibs nana has for him at the house. Nice big ones that snap around his neck. I can see he is going to be a good eater like his dad was when he was little. Casey was always over weight and why we were on WIC for so long. Anyway you are wonderful parents and that makes me so happy and very proud of you both. Love you all. Mom/Nana

Tim and Jenn said...

Yikes! Here come the messes. I think that this is one of those phases where babies may get a little bit less attractive. Perhaps that's only when they aren't your own though. By the way, I enjoyed hearing your laugh in that last video too. My next post will be our trip. Check in soon.
Love and Love and Love,
Jenn

Anonymous said...

I loved spending time with you guys last weekend and got to experince Orin eating off a spon and it was interesting. However after he puked on me I was a little grossed out and since I do not have children of myself it kind of made me want to puke...it was warm and gross!!! YUCK!! Can't wait to see you guys again soon!