Sunday, February 10, 2008

Saved by the Van

Okay, first I suppose I need to apologize for the not updating the blog for a really long time. The thing is, I am sick... really sick and I have spent the better part of the last three days sleeping, drinking tea, making soft whimpering sounds, and feeling sorry for myself. So you all have missed the same part of the trip as I, mainly New Orleans and the entire state of Mississippi. Today, however, we have arrived in Fairhope Alabama and, waiting outside the coffee shop, I feel that just can't neglect you anymore, so here is what has happened since Mardi Gras:

On Wednesday, October (that's our van) made the ultimate self-sacrifice. Unbeknownst to us, a tragedy of some kind (we will never know what it was) awaited us outside of Lafayette around 3 o'clock. But thankfully, October managed to divert us away from the incident by taking it upon herself to rupture a non-essential part, thus delaying our departure. Events unfolded as follows: first she created a very strong  you-don't-want-to-keep-driving-like-this smell in the rear of the van. When we pulled over we discovered that she had gone even further still, by sending smoke and large, wet clumps (which ended up being dog hair soaked in chemical) out of the rear heater and by dripping a large quantity of green liquid (antifreeze) our from under several sections of the slider door.

One might almost believe that she had outdone herself. But we know it was only what was necessary at the time.

She did, however, chose an excellent location to delay us. The plaza we pulled into had a store which carried the part that Casey needed to by-pass the heater. Just a little knowledge of hydroponic tubing and we were good to go. Well, not exactly, the entire carpet was soaked in antifreeze, so we had a little cleaning to do. But, you guessed it, one of the stores in the plaza had plenty of water and environmentally-friendly cleaning products. 

So everything turned out just fine and we even got a little lunch out of the deal (there was a quiznos in the plaza too).

Oh, how we love our van.

I will write another blog really soon. There is much more to update you all on. But for now, we (as in Casey and the dogs) are off to enjoy the sun with grandpa Jack.

I will be sitting on the porch, trying not to drown in tissues.

Love you all.




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hippies...

Anonymous said...

Nice job on getting everything cleaned out....as for not feeling so good, try some OJ they say it's a merical cure for colds....but I am sure the hearburn is setting in (Lins). Well I love reading the blogs and get bummed when I figure out I have not checked them out in a while. Did you guys try any Frog Legs yet? If not hit up Texas that's where I found them to be the best. I am also sharpening up a little on the "Green" idea. I just bought one of those resuable bags so I don't have to use plastic or paper when checking out at the check out line. And I will never buy tuperware again...using the glass jars sauces come in and those silly deal items...you know Mac and chees...God I love Mac and Chees. Well love ya all and can't wait for the next update. =) Love you guys- Morgan

Anonymous said...

Ok just read my blog...it's Chesse not chees....working to fast. =)

Anonymous said...

I love how you both can improvise and overcome! Hope you are feeling better soon Lindsay:) peace, kristin
ps. water and emergen-c is my cure for just about everything....at least i never hurts.

Unknown said...

Zawickis-
So good to see you both! I haven't seen you since you were in Bend, and Lindsay, you have a beautiful belly and I'm stoked to hear its a boy! Have you decided on a name yet? Safe travels and I will send your blog on to Kara and the kids here in Bend so all can see what you traveling cats are up to. Take it easy Lindsay and PS, your dogs are the sweetest- Lori Coon